The 16th International Culture and Power Conference ‘Spaces’ will be held on October 2, 3, and 4, 2013, and hosted by IBACS (the Iberian Association for Cultural Studies) and the English Department at the University of Murcia, Spain.
The Conference’s special topic will be SPACE.
The 16th Culture and Power conference seeks to respond to the growing importance of space, spatial analysis, and localization in cultural studies. While locating cultural practice in concrete geographical and social coordinates has been a constant in the field, the last two decades have witnessed an extraordinary expansion in the ways space has been explored and made to signify in relation to such different social categories as: gender and sexuality; race and ethnicity; region, nation, and globalisation; the real and the virtual. Likewise, location and ground have become central to such temporal categories as public and private memory; history; deep and slow time; cultural and media archaeologies; storytelling.
We are currently inviting 20-minute papers that will deal with the theory and representation of space in any of its manifestations, or that, in the process of studying particular texts or media, will take into account space in a significant manner. We are especially interested in proposals addressing—but not limited to—any of the following themes:
- (Post)modern configurations of space
- Urban and post-urban spatialities
- Spaces of control, discipline and surveillance
- Spaces of dissidence and transgression
- Border spaces
- Transnational spaces
- Locations of intimacy
- Sexuality and space
- Queering space
- Rethinking the rural
- Spaces of (de)(neo)colonialization and Empire
- Grounding memory and history
- Spaces of fiction and fictional space
- Media(ted) spaces: the specific spatialities of cinema, video, radio, television
- Outer and Inner space
- Acoustic space
- Interactive space
- Gaming, virtual locations, and the making and unmaking of identity
- Spatial materialisms
The following keynote speakers have confirmed their participation:
- Professor George McKay, Director, Communication, Cultural & Media Studies (CCM) Research Centre at the University of Salford
- Professor John Storey, Director of the Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies, University of Sunderland
- Professor Jane Rendell, Vice Dean of Research for the Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL
- Professor Chris Weedon, Chair of the Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory, Director of Postgraduate Studies and Head of the Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory, Cardiff University.
Papers should be presented in English. A selection of conference papers will be considered for publication after the conference.
Proposals of 400 words should be submitted by 8th of April, 2013 and should be submitted electronically through the IBACS conference website. Notification of acceptance will be by the 8th of May.
- David Walton (President of IBACS) email@example.com
- Juan Antonio Suárez firstname.lastname@example.org