A small crack, 6″ or so, appeared in the upper rib of my bass last summer (see below). Don’t know how. Although relatively minor damage, it required slightly more major attention to repair it properly. This involved removing the front or belly of the instrument to access the crack. And then to glue with some small wooden cleats, and clamp.
Excellent Essex-based luthier (and double bass specialist) Martyn Bailey did the work. He had done a brilliant and sympathetic new set-up on it a year or so ago, including a new bridge, and taking into account my need for a really low action for maximum ease of playing with diminishing physical strength. So pleased I found him.
While the front was off Martyn took this photo of the inside. It shows around 150 years of damage and repair on the front alone, including a soundpost patch at one stage (the oval shape between the f-holes), as well as getting on for 60 cleats glued on various cracks and dints. (I did count these and thought of my age, though I’m trying to avoid the metaphoric pull.) This is pretty much par for the course for basses of this era, as you can see by looking at other such photos on Martyn’s website.
The bass bar (the thin strip running vertically on the right) is original. The front is probably spruce, the rest of the bass maple (ebony fingerboard, top nut). A German bass. There are drips of varnish I guess that give it a touch of an action painting. Martyn took the opportunity to glue up some other potential cracks and previous repairs while he was at it (‘off-glue’ being the term used by luthiers to refer to where parts of a bass have come unstuck).
It’s always animal glue. I did wonder to Martyn, slightly tongue in cheek, if any vegetarian or vegan alternatives were available and he said no-one had ever asked him that before.
I love this glimpse into, well, the underbelly. Another world I am in contact with daily, but unseen. A secret material history.
Also, praise be to my insurance company!