Here are some videos of Swerve Trio playing live. (Technical note: I use a flipcam, position it somewhere steady and secure where I hope it will pick up all the musicians, and not too much extraneous noise, turn it on and let it record for an hour until its memory runs out. I look at it on a macbook later and decide if there is a decent number in what’s filmed, and if so edit that using the flipcam’s idiot-proof software and upload it to youtube.) Numbers featured, to give an idea of the band’s repertoire and style, are as follows:
- NEW, ‘This heart of mine’, 1946 standard, live at Dukes Theatre, Lancaster, May 2012.
- NEW, ‘Alleycat boys’, original composition by George, recorded May 2012.
- NEW, ‘Mellipsis’, one of George’s old originals, plucked from the Glasgow archive (written c. 1990), recorded May 2012.
- arrangement and performance of ‘St James Infirmary’, the number we opened Morecambe Jazz Club with in March 2012.
- ‘Early winter’. Swinging improvisation, original trio composition (December 2011).
- ‘Footprints’. Wayne Shorter’s modern jazz waltz, extended (May 2011).
- ‘St James’. New Orleans standard, modernised (May 2011).
- ‘I love Paris’. Cole Porter’s number, given a bit of a two-beat stomp (June 2011).
We hope you enjoy! Let us know.